Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Battle of the Big Birds, Airline’s Ads Reviewed



All three of these airlines use appeals to prestige and target frequent business travelers, upper middle class and higher income levels. They’re targeting not your family-vacation-occasional-flyers, but those who need and expect a comfortable experience when traveling regularly.

Delta



Delta’s ad features its Business Elite cabins. The main copy is enticing, “Choose between an aisle seat and an aisle seat.” This quickly conjures up those times when I’ve flown and gotten “stuck” next to people I never would’ve chosen as a seat mate. The copy goes on to explain how sleeping on a plane can and has been improved so business travelers are more rested when they arrive on the other side of the world.

Korean Air


The image is the focus on this ad for Korean Air. An attractive woman sits on a floating feather. The actual seat is smaller and lower on the page. Korean Air promises the Prestige Sleeper Seat will have you never wanting to leave. I like the image, but this seems slightly unrealistic to expect business travelers to believe.

British Airways


When I speak to marketing classes one thing that I try to impress upon my audience is the fact that their unique selling proposition need not deal directly with the product/service. There is no plane or seat in this British Airways ad. What you see is a precariously stacked tower of wine glasses arranged to resemble the plane’s tail. The content discusses how wine tastes different at high elevation. Sell by highlighting what makes you different.

Thoughts? Are you a business traveler? What airline do you prefer? Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment