I received a nice card in the mail today and was so appreciative of it that I thought I’d just share a few letter writing tips to help you in your letter writing, both professionally and personally.
Letter Writing
Letters have enriched the lives of millions. Letters have been written to build up, keep in touch, inform, and encourage. Letter writing was once among the primary forms of communication, but it has quickly become a long-lost art form.
Letters can go places we cannot, carry warmth and personal expression in a way email cannot. Don’t wait until sickness, bad weather, or power outage limit your communication. Why not write a letter today? It will surely brighten the life of someone dear to you.
Content
Write as if you were talking to the recipient face-to-face. Write what you would have said if you could’ve visited him or her. You may wish to jot down a brief outline to ensure natural flow of subjects and coverage of each topic you wish to address. If you haven’t written to this addressee before (even if it is a dear friend) keep you letter short. You don’t want them to tire of reading it or feel overwhelmed by the thought of penning a lengthy reply.
Form
Your letter should look tidy. It should clearly state who you are. Always use a return address on the envelope. The purpose should be simple and directly stated at the outset. Each main thought should have its own paragraph. The style (casual or formal) should coincide with the relationship you have with the reader. Use an appropriate salutation and closing. The signature should be handwritten.
Take a moment to reread your letter. Give attention to proper spelling and grammar. Neatness counts! Paying attention to these details adds dignity to your letter and its message. Read the letter aloud. It may be hard to convey feeling in words if not carefully chosen. Does it sound friendly, kind, negative, or pessimistic? Does the letter represent you and what you stand for? Does it look and sound the way you wish?
Now, go ahead, send your letter. You just might make someone’s day!
For help with business letters, please call Fletcher Freelance at (715) 584-6773.

I wish more people would write letters! They are so much more personal, and I have been encouraging my friends in college to start epistolary correspondences. Some have fizzled out, but I have gotten to know some people better than I had expected. Thank you for encouraging this lost art!
ReplyDelete